Applications Are Now Open!
We are thrilled to announce staff applications are now open for Bobcat Preview 2019! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for access to the Staff Application.
Prior to starting your application, make sure to read all of the instructions on the application. Included in the application are short answer questions, we suggest that you prepare your short answer questions prior to starting the application and then copy them into your application. Once you have started the application, you must complete it in its entirety.
Short answer prompts for all applicants:
- For the position(s) you are applying for, what do you view as your responsibility to students going through Bobcat Preview?
- What can you contribute to Bobcat Preview that sets you apart from other applicants?
- What have you learned from being a Texas State student that you would like to pass on to new, incoming students?
Additional short answer prompts for students who have never served as Bobcat Preview staff before:
- Name one of your strengths and how it will help you be an effective staff member. Also, what is an area of improvement you are working on that will help you be a better staff member?
- Explain a situation where you have dealt with conflict. Tell us how you handled the situation.
- Please identify a famous icon (actor/actress, business-person, etc.) whose personality relates to yours and explain why you chose that person. (Example: Angelina Jolie's personality relates to mine because she is known for her compassion. Elaborate/provide an example on why and how you are compassionate.)
Additional short answer prompts for students who have served as Bobcat Preview staff before:
- Why do you want to return to Bobcat Preview?
- Since you have had time to reflect on your past Bobcat Preview experience, how will you utilize this knowledge during the 2018 program?
- What piece of information during the training process last year was most useful to you during the actual program?
Bobcat Preview Staff Information
Date of Position: April 9, 2019 | August 15-24, 2019
Description: The Bobcat Preview student leaders are primarily responsible for assisting in the coordination of new students and special events during the Bobcat Preview program.
Positions Available: Peer Assistance Leaders & Program Operations Leaders
As a Peer Assistance Leader, you are responsible for the direct interaction with students during the program. You will begin the week by serving as welcome ambassadors at events like Bobcat Preview Check-In and the President's Block Party. During the session days, you may lead a different group of approximately 20-30 students to the various workshops and presentations and facilitate discussion groups with your group of students each day. These discussion groups allow for students to voice their concerns, ask questions, bond with classmates, and become more comfortable with their new environment. We also may have you help implement the We Are Academically Successful session block by supervising and energizing the students in attendance and assisting the presenters. You will also lead the students you have had in your groups through Bobcats CARE, Bobcats are Proud, and New Student Convocation towards the end of the program week.
As a Program Operations Leader, you are a logistics and troubleshooting expert for the program. You are responsible for facilities management, general trouble-shooting, and traffic flow during all stages of Bobcat Preview. You are also responsible for making sure the students who attend this state-mandated and university-required program receive credit for attending by planning and implementing Bobcat Preview Check-In, as well as ensuring all students are swiped or scanned into each session throughout the week. The key to being a successful Program Operations Leader is flexibility. On some days, you may be assigned to a specific Den or you may serve as a floater. In either case, you must ensure that the Leadership Team, Co-Chairs, and Staff can rely on you for any assistance during the program in a timely manner.
- Be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25
- Must not graduate before December 2019
- Must have completed at least one long semester prior to Fall 2019
- Display a thorough knowledge of the Texas State campus
- Be able to demonstrate initiative, a positive attitude, and an ability to be a team player, as well as a motivator, mentor, and leader
- Be able to attend ALL meetings, trainings, and Bobcat Preview dates in their entirety
Salary: $300 (Minus Taxes)
*Please note: If hired, you CANNOT work at any other on-campus job during the week of the Bobcat Preview program.
Applications: Please contact email@example.com
Interviews: After you have submitted your application, you will be contacted by a representative of Bobcat Preview to schedule your interview time. Please check your email accordingly.
Notification: Applicants may come pick up their selection letters in the PALM Office (LBJSC 4-1.6A) on April 2, 2019
Important Dates and Required Attendance:
April 9 Spring Training (evening)
August 15-18 Staff Training (all day)
August 19-24 Bobcat Preview Program (all day and some evenings)